Monday, November 21, 2011

Monarch Butterfly I'm not


Gulf Fritillary Butterfly

Well, maybe it's just me--but when I saw this orange and black beauty I thought it was a Monarch butterfly. I grabbed the camera and snapped this shot thinking this would be great for my blog! However, when I opened the picture on the computer, this butterfly looked different to me. I remembered some pictures Cliff took last year, near the Marina Civic Center in downtown Panama City. It was in October, which is when the Monarchs visit our area. I found the pictures (there is one below) and sure enough they were indeed Monarchs.  So...I did some research and found out that the Gulf Fritillary is the correct name for this butterfly. I'm not disappointed at all because these beautiful butterflies are all over the yard this time of year. It just goes to show you--there is always something new to learn!


Monarch Butterfly


No comments:

Post a Comment